Hey, remember that week where I posted almost every day about my recent Pinterest finds?!  No?  Oh… well, that’s because that’s happening now!

(To check out my previous posts of “Things that (P)inspire Me,” go here.)

As I did an inventory of my vast ornament collection last Friday, I was surprised to discover that none of my ornaments were handmade (or at least, handmade by me).  Of course, all of my ornaments are a product of penny pinching (or gift-receiving), so that’s nothing to balk at, but still… there remains a DIY-sized hole in my heart that must. be. filled.  So, I turned to my tried, true, and trusted friend, the Pinterest bookmarklet (nope, not a typo).

(In case you’re confused check out www.pinterest.com.)

Below are some of my most recent finds (also thanks to Google image search).  Hope you are as inspired as I now am!

(Click on the pictures for the links to the original sources.)

Pinned Image
 Pinned Image

Thumbtacks and a styrofoam ball!
Pinned ImageScrabble pieces glued together

Pinned Image
Small dollar store frames with pretty paper

Pinned Image
An oldie, but a goodie.  These would be especially nice with metallic or patterned paper.

Felt ornament — read the instructions, it’s actually easier than it looks!

Pinned Image
I guess these are a little more obvious than most, but aren’t they pretty?  And with the length of these pipe cleaners, they can be a statement ornament (like… a “statement ring”) :)
Pinned Image
This particular pin is from Young House Love and was a product of the Pinterest Challenge that they recently co-hosted.  38 DIY ornaments for a total of $27.  Not too bad!

Pinned Image
An old key, spray painted (also part of the “Challenge” from above).  Vamping on this same idea, many household items, however seemingly mundane, would make great ornaments!  Silverware, earrings, those are just the first two that come to mind…
Pinned Image
Tree topper, made from pipe cleaners and a styrofoam ball.  But you know me, I would have used a different color.

Pinned Image
I love ANY home decor idea involving recycled sheet music (and I have plenty of it).  So fun as a tree topper!  (More on sheet music/Christmas decor on Wednesday!)

Hope you enjoyed those!(Subscribe, silly!  What are you waiting for?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Maria Aparo-Merritt November 29, 2011, 1:05 pm

This inspires me to host an ornament decorating party….

1. TheGingerPennyPincher November 29, 2011, 4:40 pm

ooh… I like that idea.

2. Lisa Bohn November 29, 2011, 2:28 pm

These are awesome…thanks so much for sharing! I love doing DIY homemade ornaments/crafts as part of holiday gifts, and I got some great ideas from this post. xoxo

3. Amy December 26, 2011, 4:59 pm

Hi ! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas. :)
    I had wanted to tell u that your red pipe cleaner topper had my heart racing when I saw it! It was perfect- except I needed a MUCH bigger version. (keep reading, there’s a question in here)- I took the ball, but instead of pipe cleaners I used dowels of varying sizes and lengths, turned off beautifully! Whispering here,- UNLESS u were up close.. I had the hardest time, and it’s still not exactly right, with 1.) my silver metallic spray paint (valspar) turning ruddy gray on the ball, and 2.), making my glitter stick! I used spray adhesive but the glitter would just not b evenly and thickly spread, so I would spray adhesive again, WHAT A MESS! Then u couldn’t c the glitter at all! :( I would love to show u the finished product ( i believe u would appreciate it ) but please tell me ur secret! Tx

1. TheGingerPennyPincher December 26, 2011, 5:53 pm

Amy — thanks for the comment! I would love to help you, but I am not the one who made the pipe cleaner tree topper. That item, as well as all of the items found in this particular post were Pinterest finds! To find the original source, click on the pic (it’s from the Better Homes and Gardens website). Sorry your DIY went awry! (though I would still love to see pics :). Thanks for reading — hope you had a merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!!!

1. Amy December 26, 2011, 11:26 pm

Penny I have to say that was funny! Can I get any more blonde??! (no offense Nyone, I really am blonde) ;-) Ya know, I believe the first I saw this post I did realize u did not personally make it; however, I had forgotten due to all of my Googling. Well, dang ! I was Surely excited about some advice but regardless I had more fun creating my star tree topper, N secretly impressing the fam, than i have had in years! To make something with ur own hands that cant be found easily, and the impression of admiration on ur child’s face (she’s naive, ha), PRICELESS. !
        By the way, how to upload a picture? (dumb it down for me!) lol.

I love comments! They make me feel warm and fuzzy — like Diet Coke and The Office reruns! However, your comments may take a while to appear as I moderate each. and. every. one. Lame, I know. But this way I’m able to keep out all of the angry-eyebrow comments full of less-than-sunshine words… as well as spam (ain’t nobody got time for that). Thanks for your comments (as well as your patience)! #ithinkyouareawesome #unlessyouarespam

...Or get The Ginger Penny Pincher delivered straight to your inbox!:

Your e-mail address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Things I Love. Hard.

(Affiliate links? You betcha.)

Cardboard Safari Unicorn Trophy